NAFDAC kicks off nationwide enforcement of sachet alcohol ban

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has begun the nationwide enforcement of the ban on the production and sale of alcoholic beverages packaged in sachets and small polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles.

The enforcement followed a directive by the Nigerian Senate mandating the agency to completely halt the manufacture and distribution of sachet alcohol and small-sized bottled alcoholic drinks by December 2025. The resolution stemmed from a motion sponsored by Senator Asuquo Ekpenyong, representing Cross River South, who cited public health concerns and global best practices.

NAFDAC had earlier announced plans to commence full enforcement of the ban by the end of 2025, a move that sparked protests from the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) and some civil society groups. Critics of the ban warned that it could lead to significant economic losses, including job cuts and reduced investments in the beverage sector.

However, speaking during a media briefing in Lagos on Wednesday, the Director-General of NAFDAC, Professor Mojisola Adeyeye, said the enforcement commenced following fresh authorisation from the Senate.

According to Adeyeye, the enforcement drive is aimed at protecting public health, particularly vulnerable groups such as children and young persons.

“The proliferation of alcoholic beverages with high alcohol content in sachets and small containers has made them easily accessible, affordable and concealable,” she said.

She stressed that NAFDAC is not opposed to alcohol consumption but is concerned about the widespread availability of high-strength alcohol in sachets and small bottles, which increases the risk of abuse and underage consumption.

The NAFDAC boss revealed that some sachet alcohol products previously contained between 50 and 90 per cent alcohol, levels she described as dangerous to public health. She added that although manufacturers were directed to reduce alcohol content to 30 per cent, many resisted due to concerns over job losses and investment implications.

Adeyeye further disclosed that the matter was escalated to the Federal Ministry of Health, which granted manufacturers a five-year transition period from December 2018 to January 31, 2024 to comply with regulatory standards.

She reaffirmed NAFDAC’s commitment to safeguarding public health through sustained enforcement of existing regulations.

Related posts