An accountability and pro-democracy group, the Network for Good Governance and Accountability in Nigeria (NeGGAN), has called on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to order an immediate and independent probe into multiple allegations against the Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), Engr. Bayo Ojulari.
The group also urged the Nigerian Senate to invoke relevant provisions of the 1999 Constitution and the Legislative Houses (Powers and Privileges) Act, 2018, to issue a bench warrant for Ojulari’s arrest over his alleged refusal to honour repeated invitations by the Senate Committee on Public Accounts in connection with the ongoing probe of unaccounted ₦230 trillion.
In a statement signed by its Convener, Engr. Jacob Yakubu, and made available to journalists on Friday, NeGGAN expressed concern over what it described as the continued silence of the Presidency and relevant anti-graft agencies despite the weight of allegations against the NNPCL chief.
The group alleged that Ojulari had consistently failed to appear before the Senate committee, despite being invited on five different occasions, an action it said amounted to a blatant disregard for the constitutional oversight powers of the National Assembly.
According to NeGGAN, the Senate is investigating discrepancies in NNPCL’s audited financial statements between 2017 and 2023, involving over ₦210 trillion in accrued expenses and receivables.
The Senate Committee, chaired by Senator Aliyu Wadada, had earlier raised concerns over ₦103 trillion listed as accrued expenses, including retention fees, legal charges and audit costs, allegedly without proper documentation.
The group noted that Ojulari had submitted documents claiming ₦103 trillion in accrued expenses and ₦107 trillion in receivables, but said the explanation failed to satisfactorily address the committee’s concerns.
NeGGAN also recalled allegations made by Senator Adams Oshiomhole in November last year, in which he accused the NNPCL boss of attempting to conceal irregularities in the company’s financial records.
It further questioned why the Senate and the Presidency had remained silent months after the allegations were raised, asking whether a government appointee had become “more powerful than the institutions of state.”
The group also cited reports of past investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), including the alleged detention of Ojulari, and demanded that findings from such probes be made public.
Other allegations highlighted in the statement include claims of illicit fund transfers, kickback schemes involving oil traders and contractors, and the alleged non-remittance of ₦500 billion to the Federation Account.
“We are not making fresh allegations,” the group said, “but Nigerians deserve transparency and accountability. The silence of relevant authorities gives the impression that the NNPCL GCEO is above the law.”
NeGGAN called on the EFCC, DSS and other relevant agencies to reopen investigations and ensure that all allegations are thoroughly probed in the interest of good governance and public trust.
