The Federal Government has assured that Nigerian Diplomatic and Consular Missions across the globe will soon experience financial relief following the approval of fresh funding to address their ongoing challenges.
In a statement on Monday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs acknowledged that Missions abroad had been struggling to meet critical obligations such as salaries of local staff, allowances of home-based officers, rent, and payments to service providers.
The Ministry’s Spokesperson, Kimiebi Imomotimi Ebienfa, explained that the difficulties were the result of budgetary shortfalls and economic pressures at home. He, however, stressed that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration has taken decisive steps to stabilise the Missions.
“To cushion the effects of these financial constraints, special intervention funds were approved and released to affected Missions,” the statement said, adding that over 80 per cent of the available funds had already been cleared for payments, prioritising service providers, staff salaries, and arrears of allowances.
The Ministry further disclosed that government had approved settlement of allocation shortfalls arising from foreign exchange harmonisation, with the first tranche already remitted to Missions. It added that second semester allocations for personnel and overhead costs had also been approved and would be released this week.
Looking ahead, the Ministry said it is developing a sustainable financial model to ensure the long-term stability of Missions abroad, in line with broader fiscal reforms aimed at enhancing efficiency and accountability.
Commending the resilience of diplomatic staff working under difficult circumstances, the Ministry reassured Nigerians and the international community of government’s unwavering commitment to effective diplomacy and the welfare of its personnel worldwide.
