ٱلْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ ٱلَّذِىٓ أَنزَلَ عَلَىٰ عَبْدِهِ ٱلْكِتَٰبَ وَلَمْ يَجْعَل لَّهُۥ عِوَجَاۜ
[All] praise is [due] to Allaah, who has sent down upon His Servant the Book and has not made therein any deviance.
قَيِّمًا لِّيُنذِرَ بَأْسًا شَدِيدًا مِّن لَّدُنْهُ وَيُبَشِّرَ ٱلْمُؤْمِنِينَ ٱلَّذِينَ يَعْمَلُونَ ٱلصَّٰلِحَٰتِ أَنَّ لَهُمْ أَجْرًا حَسَنًا
[He has made it] straight, to warn of severe punishment from Him and to give good tidings to the believers who do righteous deeds that they will have a good reward
مَّٰكِثِينَ فِيهِ أَبَدًا
In which they will remain forever
وَيُنذِرَ ٱلَّذِينَ قَالُوا۟ ٱتَّخَذَ ٱللَّهُ وَلَدًا
And to warn those who say, ” Allaah has taken a son.”
مَّا لَهُم بِهِۦ مِنْ عِلْمٍ وَلَا لِءَابَآئِهِمْۚ كَبُرَتْ كَلِمَةً تَخْرُجُ مِنْ أَفْوَٰهِهِمْۚ إِن يَقُولُونَ إِلَّا كَذِبًا
They have no knowledge of it, nor had their fathers. Grave is the word that comes out of their mouths; they speak not except a lie.
فَلَعَلَّكَ بَٰخِعٌ نَّفْسَكَ عَلَىٰٓ ءَاثَٰرِهِمْ إِن لَّمْ يُؤْمِنُوا۟ بِهَٰذَا ٱلْحَدِيثِ أَسَفًا
Then perhaps you would kill yourself through grief over them, [O Muhammad], if they do not believe in this message, [and] out of sorrow.
Ibadallah, ‘aminuu bi hadhal Qur’an lianau Hudah, wa bayinaat, wa shifau, wa Rahmah Kama qolaAllaahu fihi:
إِنَّ هَٰذَا ٱلْقُرْءَانَ يَهْدِى لِلَّتِى هِىَ أَقْوَمُ وَيُبَشِّرُ ٱلْمُؤْمِنِينَ ٱلَّذِينَ يَعْمَلُونَ ٱلصَّٰلِحَٰتِ أَنَّ لَهُمْ أَجْرًا كَبِيرًا
Indeed, this Qur’an guides to that which is most suitable and gives good tidings to the believers who do righteous deeds that they will have a great reward.
وَأَنَّ ٱلَّذِينَ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ بِٱلْءَاخِرَةِ أَعْتَدْنَا لَهُمْ عَذَابًا أَلِيمًا
And that those who do not believe in the Hereafter – We have prepared for them a painful punishment.
وَنُنَزِّلُ مِنَ ٱلْقُرْءَانِ مَا هُوَ شِفَآءٌ وَرَحْمَةٌ لِّلْمُؤْمِنِينَۙ وَلَا يَزِيدُ ٱلظَّٰلِمِينَ إِلَّا خَسَارًا
And We send down of the Qur’an that which is healing and mercy for the believers, but it does not increase the wrongdoers except in loss.
Ibadallah, taqullaah wa tawakaluu alayhi wa aminuu bi Kitabihi li anaHu qal :
وَمَا مِن دَآبَّةٍ فِى ٱلْأَرْضِ وَلَا طَٰٓئِرٍ يَطِيرُ بِجَنَاحَيْهِ إِلَّآ أُمَمٌ أَمْثَالُكُمۚ مَّا فَرَّطْنَا فِى ٱلْكِتَٰبِ مِن شَىْءٍۚ ثُمَّ إِلَىٰ رَبِّهِمْ يُحْشَرُونَ
And there is no creature on [or within] the earth or bird that flies with its wings except [that they are] communities like you. We have not neglected in the BOOK, A THING. Then unto their Lord they will be gathered.
من المهمات التي شملها القرآن أمور الوجود والفناء والشدة. وعلي هذا قال عز وجل
Mina li muhimmaati latiy shamalaha l Qur’an umuuru l wujuudi wa li fanaahi wa shiddah. Wa ala aadha koola azza wa jalla
One of the great issues that is not immitted in the Qur’an is the existence, destruction or suffering of nation’s as He says:
وَإِن مِّن قَرْيَةٍ إِلَّا نَحْنُ مُهْلِكُوهَا قَبْلَ يَوْمِ ٱلْقِيَٰمَةِ أَوْ مُعَذِّبُوهَا عَذَابًا شَدِيدًاۚ كَانَ ذَٰلِكَ فِى ٱلْكِتَٰبِ مَسْطُورًا
And there is no city but that We will destroy it before the Day of Resurrection or punish it with a severe punishment. That has ever been in the Register inscribed.
True to this, Nigeria was created out of the ruins or relics of mighty Empires and Kingdoms that have become history. Kanem Borno, Sokoto and Oyo Empires are few examples of empires that have gone into extinction with their people happily bearing Nigerians today; while Benin Kano and Zazau Kingdoms are examples of great Kingdoms whose people and leaders play only roles assigned to them (rulers and ruled) by the Constitution of a new Nation. That has been accepted as the new normal for more than sixty years.
We have observed, over the years, how sophisticated the nigerian nation has become. We have also experienced how dangerously difficult it is to govern and make Nigerians happy. But we have ignored certain facts that make our situation more complex and dangerous.
In the light of my experience , I wish to state as follows:
1. That political crises usually peak towards October 1st as either a negotiating strategy or a grand sabotage. Agitation for OODUA Republic is the one we have heard this year.
2. That the way things are now, the continuous unity of Nigeria is , painfully, negotiable as we have been so badly divided that even Muslims do not see themselves as one in spite of Allaah’s injunctions.
3. That insecurity of all forms across the nation can no longer be explained away as politically motivated and externally sponsored sabotage even if it is true as it is only the President that cannot sabotage himself.
4. That growing army of uneducated youth in the North and badly educated and unemployable youth in the South should be seen as the last signs of the hour for Nigeria. When kidnapping, Herdsmen banditry and Boko Haram in the North meet with more sophisticated cyber and other crimes in the South, the political THUGGERY which is the main stay of many youths across the nation would pale into insignificance and the nation is sure to be in real insurgency.
5. That many students have found so much pleasure in crimes that they have joined many others who have opted to have nothing to do with school is a time bomb. Many tertiary institutions students may not return to school because violent and other crimes now pay better than schooling without prospects.
6. That politicians should get ready for a real fight with a frustrated people ahead of 2023.
7. That Anarchy is the best description of the situation we are going through now. And thatmay President Buhari not be the last President of Nigeria.
Advice for the Government
1.Encouragement and support for the existing Security services especially provision of every necessary architecture, infrastructure and other facilities to make them do more and in appreciation of their continuous sacrifice and constant loss of lives in their bid to serve their fatherland.
2. De- schooling of education to pave way for functional education to replace the worthless paper education. Employment should be based on the skills, capacities and Intelligence of the graduates rather than his certificate no matter the class of degree because it is compromisable.
3. Massive empowerment and constructive engagement of unemployed and unemployable youths across the country possibly into the military, Paramilitary and especially the police.
4. Creation of the much canvassed State Police which will give birth to the much desired community policing into which the restive and militant youths would be injected.
Prayer for the nation.
وَمَا لَكُمْ لَا تُقَٰتِلُونَ فِى سَبِيلِ ٱللَّهِ وَٱلْمُسْتَضْعَفِينَ مِنَ ٱلرِّجَالِ وَٱلنِّسَآءِ وَٱلْوِلْدَٰنِ ٱلَّذِينَ يَقُولُونَ رَبَّنَآ أَخْرِجْنَا مِنْ هَٰذِهِ ٱلْقَرْيَةِ ٱلظَّالِمِ أَهْلُهَا وَٱجْعَل لَّنَا مِن لَّدُنكَ وَلِيًّا وَٱجْعَل لَّنَا مِن لَّدُنكَ نَصِيرًا
And what is [the matter] with you that you fight not in the cause of Allah and [for] the oppressed among men, women, and children who say, “Our Lord, take us out of this city of oppressive people and appoint for us from Yourself a protector and appoint for us from Yourself a helper?”
Prof Taofiq Adesina AbdulAzeez
Professor of English (Communication and Language Arts)
Department of English,
University of Abuja
Imam, University of Abuja
Imam Da’wah Front of Nigeria
September 18, 2020
30th Muharram, 1442