NiDCOM sets record straight on Suleimon Olufemi’s death row case in Saudi Arabia, faults Amnesty letter

The Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM) has clarified the circumstances surrounding the prolonged detention of Nigerian national, Suleimon Olufemi, who has spent over 20 years on death row in Saudi Arabia, countering claims made in a recent open letter by Amnesty International.

In a press statement issued on December 23, 2025, and signed by NiDCOM’s Director of Media, Public Relations and Protocols, Abdur-Rahman Balogun, the Commission said Amnesty International’s appeal to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu failed to present crucial facts about the case.

According to NiDCOM, Olufemi travelled to Saudi Arabia for Lesser Hajj (Umrah) and later visited a friend in Jeddah, where a police officer was killed during an incident. Olufemi was arrested among others found at the scene and, while some suspects received prison sentences, he was sentenced to death.

The Commission explained that under Saudi law, the family of the deceased may grant pardon upon the payment of blood money (Diyya) once the victim’s child reaches adulthood. After years of diplomatic engagements and negotiations including efforts involving NiDCOM’s former Legal Director, Barrister Abdullahi Bello the family agreed to accept blood money amounting to $570,000.

NiDCOM noted that Amnesty International was absent during the critical fundraising phase despite being approached for collaboration. Instead, the funds were raised through the joint efforts of NiDCOM, the Association of Nigerians in Saudi Arabia, and the Yaro brothers, with significant financial support from Lagos State Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and Seyi Tinubu, who contributed about $150,000, while the balance came through a GoFundMe initiative. The payment was completed during the administration of former President Muhammadu Buhari.

With the blood money fully paid, NiDCOM disclosed that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Nigerian Embassy in Saudi Arabia are actively engaging Saudi authorities to secure Olufemi’s release. The Commission said the Minister of Foreign Affairs has briefed President Tinubu on the matter, expressing optimism that a pardon will be granted.

The statement stressed that Olufemi was “in the wrong place at the wrong time,” adding that the offence for which he was convicted could not be conclusively proven.

NiDCOM also revealed that its Chairman had maintained contact with Olufemi’s family and previously received his aged parents at the Commission’s Lagos office on December 30, 2020.

While acknowledging Amnesty International’s advocacy role, NiDCOM urged the organisation to remain factual and objective. The Commission concluded with an appeal to Saudi authorities to release Suleimon Olufemi in the spirit of justice, fairness, and the longstanding diplomatic relationship between Nigeria and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

Related posts