NIDCOM Chairman receives two Nigerians held hostage in Bosnia border camp.

The Secretary of Nigerians in Diaspora Commission NIDCOM, Engr. Dr. Sule Yakubu Bassi on behalf of the Chairman/CEO NIDCOM, Hon Abike Dabiri-Erewa, received Abia Uchenna and Eboh Chinedu students of Federal University of Technology Owerri who were held hostage in Bosnia-Herzegovina Border Camp on when they arrived Abuja, Nigeria last night.

The Students were officially received by
Dr Bassi who urged the two Nigerians (students) to always be of good
behaviour wherever and whenever they find themselves by obeying the
laws of their country of stay.

Dr Bassi commended the Federal
Government through the Minister of Foreign Affairs Mr Geofrey Onyeama,
the Nigerian Ambassador to Hungary and all Mission Staff for the humane
and prompt response to the plight of the two Nigerians.

The NIDCOM Secretary further commended the timely and untiring efforts and energy by the Chairman/CEO of NIDCOM Hon Abike Dabiri-Erewa for ensuring their release and return home to Nigeria.

Meanwhile, Uchenna and Chinedu after narrating their ordeals which
included language barrier, harsh and hostile treatment and camp
conditions as well as feeding ,said they are overwhelmed with joy to be back home.

They said “we are very very very happy to be back home to Nigeria. There is no
country better than Nigeria especially the freedom we enjoy here.” We
want to thank especially Hon Abike Dabiri-Erewa. She is indeed a mother.
That woman is so so kind.”

They contnued: “the way she spoke to us on telephone from Nigeria when were in camp in Bosnia was very encouraging,
we cant thank her enough, She put us in hotel and fed us very well here
in Abuja.”

The two Nigerians were also appreciative of the quick intervention of
the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Nigerian Ambassador to Hungary and all
Embassy Staff in Budapest.

It could be recalled that the duo of Uchenna and Chinedu were in Croatia
for the International University Table Tennis Tournament but arrested
while on a walk out in the capital for their inability to present supporting documents(which they claimed were in their hotel rooms) and
were transferred to Bosnia-Herzegovina Border Camp where migrants are

They were arrested on November 16, 2019 but released and back
home December 21st, 2019.

Related posts