The wife and son of the ousted Nigerien President Mohammad Bazoum, have been released from house arrest.
The Nigerien President and members of his family were committed to house by the National Council for the Safeguard of the Homeland, the ruling military junta in Niger after he was overthrown July 26 last year.
They were said to be released provisionally by the tribunal. But nothing was said about the fate of the president.
Recall that ECOWAS issued an ultimatum to the coup leaders, threatening military intervention if deposed Bazoum was not returned to power.
ECOWAS member states suspended relations with Niger and closed their land and air borders with the country.
Meanwhile, Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Yusuf Tuggar, on Tuesday commended the release of the dethroned Niger President Mohammad Bazoum’s wife and son from house arrest.
This is contained in a statement signed by the Special Assistant to the minister on Media and Communications Strategy, Alkasim Abdulkadir, in Abuja.
He said Amb.Tuggar, who was also the Chairperson of the Mediation and Security Council of the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS, said it was a logical step in returning normalcy to Niger and the region in general.
Tuggar reiterated the call to the government led by Gen. Abdourahamane Tchiani, to hasten the release of Mohammed Bazoum from its custody, and allow him to fly to a third country as a step towards further talks on lifting sanctions.
According to Tugger, the release of Bazoum will also initiate the transition to constitutional rule in the interest of the people, peace and stability of Niger and the region.