The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed what it described as misleading and mischievous reports circulating in the public space regarding its recent comments on the classification of terrorist and criminal elements operating in Nigeria’s South West.
In a clarification issued on Wednesday, the military said its remarks were wrongly interpreted to suggest that it undermined democratically elected leaders or downplayed the gravity of violent crimes committed against civilians. It stressed that the Armed Forces of Nigeria remain fully committed to constitutional governance, the protection of democratic institutions, and sustained collaboration with all tiers of government to safeguard national security.
The statement, signed by Major General Michael Onoja, Director of Defence Media Operations, explained that the earlier comments were strictly intended to provide intelligence-based context on the evolving security situation in the South West region of Nigeria and to prevent misinformation capable of causing public panic.
According to the DHQ, a recent kidnapping incident in Oyo State was allegedly carried out by elements of the JAS Group, which it said had been dislodged from other parts of the country following sustained military operations.
The Defence Headquarters further rejected interpretations suggested that it had referred to violent terrorist groups as mere criminals, insisting that such claims were inaccurate and misleading.
Reaffirming its operational stance, the military said troops remain actively deployed across affected areas in coordination with other security agencies and local stakeholders. It added that ongoing counter-terrorism and anti-crime operations will be sustained across the country.
The DHQ reiterated that the Armed Forces of Nigeria will remain resolute in dismantling all terrorist and criminal networks threatening peace, stability, and national unity, assuring citizens of continued efforts to secure all regions of the country.
