Ogaga died because he wanted to be President amongst the Inmates – Police tells IIP- SARS

The IIP- SARS listened to the testimony of Insp Ekeinde P. Edwin of how Ogaga Ohore  and members of his gang  robbed one Sunday Adache of his Tecno phone and other valuables. Ogaga later died in the Abuja University Teaching hospital Gwagwalada, in the custody of police, following a fight he had with other inmates in his cell because he wanted to be the president of the cell  where he was detained .
 Insp Ekeinde recounted before Dr Garba Tetengi SAN, who stood in for the Chairman, Justice Suleiman Galadima (rtd) that on the 6th December 2019,one Pastor Daniel Adache reported on behalf of his son, Sunday Adache, a case of criminal conspiracy and armed robbery by some unidentified men, in Mararaba, Karu LGA of Nasarawa State.
Insp Ekeinde said immediately the complaint was received, a team of Federal Intelligence Bureau- Intelligence Response Team (FIB-IRT) swung into action by tracking the stolen phone.
“On the 13th January 2020, the stolen phone was traced to one Destiny Temitope, who was immediately arrested and he led the operatives to the person he(Destiny)  bought the phone from, one Joshua Auta. The same day Joshua Auta was  interrogated, and he( Joshua ) led the police to Ogaga Ohore” Insp Ekeinde added.
In his narration, the Inspector disclosed that in trying to arrest Ogaga, a pandemonium broke out between the police and Ogaga with his gang members. In the process, a gang member named Williams, who was trying to disarm a police officer was shot.
Despite the scuffle, Ogaga was arrested and taken to FIB-IRT office where he confessed to the theft of the phone and the involvement of other gang members who are presently at large.
 Continue in his testimony before the 11 man panel, Insp Ekeinde said on 23rd March,2020 he received a call from the cell where Ogaga was being held that Ogaga was sick, that he  complained of severe headache.  “I was directed by Commander IGP- IRT to take Ogaga to the police hospital in Area 1 Garki”, he disclosed that he was treated and brought back to cell
After the visit, Insp Ekeinde further stated that, he inquired from   Ogaga what happened in cell, Ogaga told him in confidence that there was a dispute between him(Ogaga) and other older inmates. Ogaga wanted to impose self as the president within the cell, this led to a fight between Ogaga and the inmates which led to him being sick.
Two days later, I was informed that  Ogaga has fallen sick again. I immediately informed my Commander, who directed that he be taken to University of Abuja Teaching Hospital(UATH) Gwagwalada. After some hours in the specialist hospital, the doctor on duty pronounced him dead.
“Concerned by the sad incidence DCP Abba Kyari directed that I deposit the body in the morgue at the Specialist Hospital and ordered for a post-mortem to be carried out, to find out the cause of death” Insp Ekeinde concluded his testimony.
After his testimony, lead Counsel for the panel, Chino Obiagwu pleaded that the case be adjourned for Complainant Counsel, Elum Wisdom, who was absent from today’s hearing,to cross-examine Insp Ekeinde .
It could be recalled that at the last hearing, Elum Wisdom narrated before the panel on behalf of the petitioner that on 12th January,2020  Ogaga was arrested by operatives of IGP-IRT while watching the English Premiership-Manchester match and since then  that all efforts by his family  to see him has proved abortive.
The matter has been adjourned to 2nd December, 2021 for definite cross-examination of Insp Ekeinde by Complainants Counsel.
Similarly, the case of alleged unlawful arrest and detention, torture, inhuman and degrading treatment and enforced disappearance of Haniel Patrick was adjourned to 23rd November, 2021 due to the absence of the petitioner and Counsel to petitioner.
It will be recalled at the first hearing on 23rd March 2021, the police was asked to produce Haniel Patrick, a victim of enforced disappearance.
However, at the resumed hearing Dr Tetengi inquired from DSP Chinedu Okonkwo the whereabouts of Haniel Patrick, The police officer disclosed that Haniel Patrick escaped from the custody police, and they have not been able to locate his whereabouts.
Before the case was adjourned by Dr Tetengi (SAN), the lead Counsel to the Panel, Chino Obiagwu disclosed to the panel that the petitioner who spoke with her lawyer, through phone that she had no money to transport herself down to Abuja.
The panel disclosed that there was provision for indigent petitioners who can’t come to the panel, therefore the case is adjourned for the last time for definite hearing on 23rd November,2021

Related posts

Leave a Comment