The Deputy Governor of Kaduna state, Dr. Hadiza Sabuwa Balarabe, in a broadcast on Wednesday, 25th March 2020 announced further emergency measures taken by the state government to protect residents from Covid-19.
Read the full text :
My dear people of Kaduna State,
1. I address you today as a follow up to the state broadcast made two days ago by our Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai. I wish to thank our people for the growing compliance with the measures that have been announced to protect residents of the state from coronavirus. The number of persons in Nigeria that have tested positive for Covid-19 keeps rising. This means we must all be more serious about preventive measures to ensure that we stay safe, stay alive and save lives.
2. Earlier today, Malam Nasir El-Rufai chaired a meeting of senior government officials to review the implementation of the extraordinary measures that have been announced and the general level of emergency preparedness. The meeting reiterated the ban on large gatherings, the closure of markets, with the exception of traders in food, medicines and essential items. Government appeals to people to stay home and avoid unnecessary travel.
3. Government recognises that compliance with these measures comes with a level of inconvenience for which we readily apologise. But we trust that everyone understands the necessity for these sacrifices as the most pragmatic way to keep people safe and alive. We don’t want anybody to die when such dangers can be avoided by observing simple preventive measures.
4. After due review, the Kaduna State Government has decided that further measures are required to strengthen the ongoing preventive efforts.
5. The government is ready to suspend all forms of pubic transportation if circumstances compel it. However, the operations of motorcycle taxis and tricycles are banned immediately as they do not satisfy the conditions for social distancing. In any case, it is illegal under the law of the state to operate motorcycle taxis.
6. The buses that are allowed to operate for now must comply to the new rule of not more than two passengers per row
7. Dear citizens, you will recall that we have requested the appropriate authorities to stop train services to help curtail the spread of Covid-19. Further to this, the Kaduna State Government will today be taking steps to stop the Abuja-Kaduna train service which needs to be suspended for a few weeks.
8. To enhance the state’s capacity for rapid response and contact tracing, monitoring and supervision of surveillance activities should any positive case be identified, the government has directed that all utility vehicles currently assigned to officials or their agencies be recalled immediately. The vehicles should be parked in the yard of the Ministry of Public Works and Infrastructure. Drivers of the utility vehicles should also report to the Commissioner of Public Works to submit their contact details.
9. The Government has commenced payment of salaries for March 2020. It advises everyone to practice financial prudence given the tough times that lie ahead.
10. The state government is committed to getting food and necessities across to identified vulnerable groups should a lockdown become inevitable. The required supplies are being procured while a system of distribution to the persons that most need them is being worked out.
11. The state government will continue its enlightenment campaigns in the media to help people stay safe, stay alive and save lives. And it will not relent in robustly enforcing preventive measures.
12. Please wash hands regularly, observe social distancing, stay home so that we can all be safe and alive.
13. Thank you for listening. Stay safe, stay home, save lives!!! May God bless and protect us all.